- Preheat oven to 350
- In a hot frying pan cook and occasionally stir the pancetta until it starts to crisp, add chopped red onion and continue cooking until pancetta is fully crisp and onions have softened slightly. Remove from pan and set aside on paper towels lined plate to drain. To the same pan add your sliced Mortadella if you are using it. I did use both pancetta and mortadella. Cook the mortadella until is has some nice brown color on both sides, then remove from pan and set aside with the pancetta.
- In a bowl combine the cheeses, balsamic vinegar, and thyme together blending and mashing with a fork until relatively smooth. Stir in chives & walnuts, set aside.
- Peel and core the pears, then slice about ¼ inch thick. Heat butter in a frying pan until hot then add pear slices and cook over medium heat until caramelized on both sides. Remove from heat.
- Add a par of butter to 2 ramekins and microwave 30 seconds to melt butter. Crack two eggs into each ramekin, top with 2 tablespoons heavy cream, season with salt & pepper. Bake the eggs for about 20 minutes or until desired doneness. About halfway through cooking time get your panini press ready and begin assembling your sandwiches. When the eggs are done remove from oven and use a knife or rubber scraper to loosen edges. Set aside. You will be removing the eggs from the ramekins with a spoon to plate them with the sandwiches.
- If you don't have a panini press a George Forman grill works great and is what I use.
- To assemble the sandwiches, split the Ciabatta bread and spread half the cheese mixture on one side and half on the other. Sprinkle pancetta onto one half and layer with pears, sliced red onion, mortadella slices and arugula. Top with other half of bread and put into your press or grill. Cook until bread is golden and crusty and cheeses are beginning to melt.
- Remove from press and cut in half and then cut each half in half again diagonally. Place 2 halves on plate. Place a small bed of arugula on plate, top with baked eggs, sprinkle eggs with paprika & serve.
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
We served a couple of new recipes this week using pears and gorgonzola cheese. If you will be staying with us at our romantic Finger Lakes bed & breakfast you may get to enjoy one of them during your stay. And here is the recipe for one of them so you can enjoy it at home as well.
10 Fitch Bed & Breakfast Recipe - Pear & Gorgonzola Breakfast Panini with Baked Eggs
The amounts given in this recipe will make 2 servings - multiply accordingly for the number of servings that you need
Ciabatta bread, about 6 inches in length for each sandwich
¼ lb Pancetta chopped and or ¼ lb thinly sliced Mortadella
2 ripe but firm Bosc pears. In a pinch you can also used canned pears which is still very good but you do lose some of the texture.
1/3 cup grated gorgonzola cheese
2 oz cream cheese
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, stems removed. If you use dried thyme use about ½ a tablespoon
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1- 2 Tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
handfull chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons butter
very thinly sliced raw red onion
fresh baby arugula
salt & pepper
4 baked egg
half and half
This is so delicious especially when you eat the egg with the sandwich. Enjoy!